The brakes are an essential part of your car. Therefore knowing when to get them replaced it is very important for you. Since it would not only help you prevent accidents but it’d also contribute keeping your car in optimal conditions.
To be sure whether or not you need to replace your brakes you need to follow these steps:
1. The first thing you need to do is to get down your car and perform a visual inspection to check the thickness of the brake pad. You can also check the components of the brake assembly and will immediately notice the brake pads pressing up against the rotor. Generally, there should be at least ¼ inch of a pad. If you see less than that, you may want to have your brake pads checked or replaced.
2. You will also need to check the vibration of your brake pedal. If all of the sudden it’s very challenging for you to stop your car with your brake pedals because it vibrates or feels unsteady as you press down, it could mean that your brake pedals have worn out. It is not normal for your brake pedal to vibrate, so to avoid any accidents get your brake pedals checked out as soon as possible.
3. If your car starts to pull to one side while braking it might be a sign that your brake linings are wearing unevenly. Perhaps your car needs a brake adjustment or to have the fluid drained and replaced.
4. If your car starts making weird sounds such as squeaking or squealing while using your brake pads its time go get your car checked. While these types of noises may be normal depending on some weather conditions it’s not normal to have squeaky brakes during every condition, since it might be an indication that there’s a problem and they should get checked by a professional.
5. Some cars have an indicator light on the dashboard which signals when the brake pads should be replaced. We recommend checking your car’s manual to see if your car comes equipped with this warning system. In case your car does and the light indeed turns on you’ll need to have your light’s sensor as well as your brake pads replaced by your mechanic.